NOW Living Downtown!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The 4th Anniversary of Dying/Living

Today is the 4 year anniversary of my brain hemorrhage, or CVA (cerebral vascular accident), or brain bleed-or whatever happened, when the blood vessels in my brain decided to explode, and fill my brain with blood, and affect my eyesight, my balance, my memory, my spelling, my relationships, my faith, my career, myintegrity, my life. I don't know what to do with all of that. I am at a complete loss in knowing how to feel about it, how to process it, how to acknowledge it, how to respond/react-- loss. I see the experience equally as a good thing, and the most horrible thing in my life--ever. I am still pissed that it happened, still angry that it was my brain, my body, that won the hemorrhage lottery that night/day, and still angry with myself that I am unforgiving toward my brother and other family who did not come to my side- to my rescue. My therapist says that it is good to identify my feelings, name them, "claim them" and then work on them. So here they are: anger, unabashed, ANGER. Not the anger that eats at me, and churns in me slowly, but anger that is so close to the surface, I can feel it thumping and beating in my veins-and it scares me that the anger will hemorrhage and explode, too-- when I don't expect it, and hit me as hard as the episode. I am embarrassed today that I made so much of the experience in the days, weeks and months afterwards--that I told stories of how it made me feel, that I told about what I learned, what I felt, what I intuited--I am mortified that I released those feelings publically-even in front of congregations and audiences. Shame on me. No, I do not remember the experience, the days afterwards, the aftermath, the conversations, the feelings. It is all blurred--and I do not remember it as a "distant rumor." I do not recall the who, what, when or where of it. I don't want to remember it-it was horrible, and frightening, and terrible, and I faced it alone- yes, I know that were people around me who love and care for me- those who went to extreme trouble to be at my side, great sacrifice, when they were dealing with their own pain and the pain of their own families. For awhile, I built a romantic notion about the experience-about being circled by loving friends, circles of prayer and concern. I do not deny all of that--but, I did not experience that, but, I was the object of the prayer, and the center of that concern. I believe that the prayer and concern is what kept me alive, but I do not KNOW it. And today, 4 years later, I am angry that I do not KNOW that yet. I have relied on faith and belief and notions I learned from my mother and sunday school teachers and preachers and evangelists and counselors. I also learned that I could not be angry with God, that I could not express 100% of how I feel, especially in my inner-being. And today, 4 years later, inside of me, deep in me, I am angry-mad as hell, that I cannot see well, that I cannot stand well, that I sometimes forget important information, and that I am not always in control of my emotions all of the time. Yes, I am grateful to be alive-I know that there is no medical, logical reason for my survival--only the illogical, spiritual rationale. Medically, I died 4 years ago today, and I am wishing that I could have learned more from what that experience--still. Medically, I lived again 4 years ago today--I wish I could learn more from THAT experience too. Every time I put on my glasses, take a pill, sit with a therapist, cry uncontrollably, trip, fall, I am reminded that this is my life now, in the "fellowship of suffering," and I don't know what to do with that.

2 Comments:

  • While I cannot relate to the traumatic, life and death experience Don encountered with his brain hemorrhage, I can relate to the revelation of loss of loved ones around a potentially life-threatening malady discovered in my body this last February. A series of nodules were discovered on my thyroid gland and some grueling testing revealed the presence of an entire train of growths and ultimately, follicular cells. I was heading for surgery and I was frightened beyond words. I will do anything to avoid surgery, anything, and while I considered not having the surgery, I didn’t want to live with the thought that cancer was eating at me from inside, so I went forward with it. Like Don, I felt terribly alone most of the time. While I knew people were genuinely concerned and praying for me from other places, including church, I needed personal contact. I also romanticized the notion of being encircled by loving friends and family. In reality, my mother could not figure out a way to come to see me ---she didn’t want to “bother” anyone to bring her all of about 70 miles to UCLA from South Orange County, and no family members offered to bring her, let alone come themselves, or even to call. Old friends, whom I had previously thought of as my cornerstone group, had plans, including church events, for that time which were too important to break. And, I actually got up the courage to ask for help ...something I am not at all good at. After I had been home from the hospital and safely free of cancer, for nearly three weeks, my mom and sister came for a visit. None of this negates my gratitude for the unexpected friends who showed up to take me to the hospital and to not only “collect” me from the hospital, but keep me in their home for several days afterwards, and it does not discount my genuine appreciation for newer friends who made contact with me immediately before and immediately after the surgery, and whom I have come to care deeply about. But something very deep within me changed as a result of the lack of presence I experienced during this difficult time. I can’t describe it in any precise terms, but I can say that an uncharacteristic shield has appeared in the center of my being resulting in behavior I would not normally allow myself to act on ...not negative necessarily, in fact, probably positive as I am more inclined to feel what it is I am really feeling ...more inclined to do what I want to do rather than acting out someone else’s idea of what I should or should not do. Also, it seems to have resulted in the fact that I’d better take better care of myself because my family won’t be there to help me in a pinch. I’ve always been the “odd person out” in my family, especially since I came out to some of them a few years ago, and I’m not sure they know what to do with that ...or with me. I have also come to see that my “cornerstone” group, each in their own way, have sort of “turned inward” with their own families and issues and that I’m no longer sure who I can depend on.

    I have not seen my sister since her visit last February and I have no desire to. With her, maybe it is too little too late; I have always been the one knocking at her door, calling, checking in --maybe because I’m the younger sister, or not. To date, my nephews, whom I love, and helped raise, peripherally, and who love me, have not contacted me ...and it’s been five months, but they are my sister’s sons.... I’ve only seen my mom once since her visit and it was just this week, because she fell, broke her hip, and had surgery. I love her and them, but maybe I too, have turned inward somewhat. I envy Don his “unabashed anger,” and hope to get to that myself. For now I just keep thinking that they are all out there doing the best they can, and I’m thankful they can take care of themselves so I can get on with my own life ...whatever that may be. I also need to say that I don’t want to let go of the magic; of possibilities, of remembering to ask God to show me where to put the next foot down because I believe in her grace. I am thankful to Don for this posting.

    By Blogger (Pamela), At 11:10 AM  

  • Dear Don,

    Please trash my last comment. Upon re-reading your "4th Anniversary" post, I see a much bigger message in it for me. Thank you for sharing your full experience!

    By Blogger (Pamela), At 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home