NOW Living Downtown!

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Potluck with the Neighbors...getting over myself

Tonight I hosted a neighborhood potluck. Apparently, this potluck has been happening several times each month for 15 years, but, this was the first one that I have hosted--or attended. I like the people, alot, some of these people are good friends, but, most of them I only know by name and by sight--and I recognize that we live in the same Downtown neighborhood--but, I'm not sure that I really know them.
But, here they were, about 25 neighbors, sitting in my living room, dining room and hanging out in the kitchen. It was good--and, because we share a common faith in Christ, we prayed for our neighbors and our neighborhood. We prayed for families, for kids, for decisions, for houses, for projects--but, we sat together and voiced prayers for people who are NOT far away, not on another continent, but, right next door-literally. It was good, and it was right.
No, I am not a fan of the "relocator" moniker--I think it doesn't adequately describe who we are, or what we do. It's too much about real estate and location, imho, but it is the term that brought this group of neighbors to bring salad, rice, brownies and chocolates to my table--and, it's the phrase that INITIALLY helped us voice our prayers together.
I'm not crazy about it, but, I think this will not be my last neighborhood potluck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home